November 14, 2012

Review : The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Title : The Hunger Games

Author : Suzanne Collins

Reading Dates : 05 Oct - 08 Oct 2012

Total Pages : 374

The Hunger Games
From Amazon :
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games," a fight to the death on live TV. Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the Games. The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed.

Book Review of The Hunger Games.

I absolutely loved The Hunger Games. Katniss’s story was gripping and had me on the edge of my seat throughout the tale.

If I had to pick the strongest reason why I enjoyed it so much, it would be because of the suspense and tension which permeates the tale. I could barely tear myself away from the story because I kept wondering what would happen next. The question of what terrible thing was going to befall the heroine and how she was going to extricate herself from her latest predicament kept me glued to the story from beginning until the end.

The Hunger Games also has a number of pretty interesting characters, ones that you want to root for. My favourite was Rue, which also makes it kind of hard to enjoy the tale at times. Right off the bat we know that there can be only 1 winner in these survival games. And since the heroine most definitely has to be the winner, all that’s left is how and when Rue dies. Its also interesting to note that like most of the audience of The Hunger Games, I started to want Katniss to win only after she tries to give some meaning to Rue’s death. Prior to that, Katniss’s cynicism made it very hard to like or admire her.

As for the ending, while not exactly a cliffhanger, left me on tenterhooks. The Hunger Games may have ended but Katniss and her dearest and closest are definitely not out of the woods yet.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Definitely.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? All young adult and dystopian fans.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it.

2 comments:

  1. Was this your first time reading THG? And have you seen the film? I thought it did a pretty good job of capturing the tension of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this was my first time reading The Hunger Games and no I haven't seen the film. So, I'm guessing you enjoyed both the book and the movie ? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...