November 15, 2012

Review : Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Title : Catching Fire

Author : Suzanne Collins

Reading Dates : 08 Oct - 12 Oct 2012

Total Pages : 391


Catching Fire
From Amazon :
Suzanne Collins continues the amazing story of Katniss Everdeen in the phenomenal Hunger Games trilogy.

Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge.

Book Review of Catching Fire.

I liked Catching Fire but for very different reasons than The Hunger Games.

Catching Fire had a slower pace compared to The Hunger Games and the main storyline in the beginning wasn’t very interesting. At least not to me. What kept me going were the hints of what was going on in the background. It seems strange though how nobody in Katniss’s world catches on.

The second reason I enjoyed Catching Fire was the introduction of a new character and ally for Katniss, Finnick Odair. I even thought that he would have been a better choice for Katniss as a love interest. The funniest moment in the entire Hunger Games series occurs in Catching Fire, between him and Katniss. Considering what he’s been through, I thought it wonderful that he could still keep his sense of humour and even get Katniss to lighten up. In truth, I thought that was the only time Katniss was truly happy, without any strings attached.

As for the romantic triangle between Katniss, Gale and Peeta, the whole thing just annoyed me. Rather than love, I believe what Katniss has with the 2 stems more from her survival instincts. Gale said it perfectly later on, when he comments that Katniss will chose the one she believes she can’t live without. Its also pretty clear to me who that would be considering her psychological makeup. It was also perfectly understandable considering the environment she grew up in.

A good read but Catching Fire would have been better without drawing out the tension between Katniss, Gale and Peeta.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Yes.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Young adult and dystopian readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...