September 21, 2012

Review : The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan

Title : The Throne of Fire

Author : Rick Riordan

Reading Dates : 30 Jul - 15 Aug 2012

Total Pages : 446

The Kane Chronicles
From Amazon :
Ever since the gods of Ancient Egypt were unleashed on the modern world, Carter Kane and his sister, Sadie, have been in big trouble. As descendants of the magical House of Life, they command certain powers. But now a terrifying enemy - Apophis, the giant snake of chaos - is rising. If Carter and Sadie don't destroy him, the world will end in five days' time. And in order to battle the forces of chaos, they must revive the sun god Ra - a feat no magician has ever achieved. Because first they must search the world for the three sections of the Book of Ra, then they have to learn how to chant its spells...Can the Kanes destroy Apophis before he swallows the sun and plunges the earth into darkness ...forever?


Book Review of The Throne of Fire.

The Throne of Fire was marginally better than The Red Pyramid but still not as good as the Percy Jackson books. The story was more exciting but my opinions regarding the protagonists of the tale haven’t improved.

The stakes are raised in the second book in The Kane Chronicles and I’ll admit I got caught up in the challenges the Kane siblings encountered in their quest to save the world. Still, I couldn’t help wondering at how obtuse the pair could be regarding what appears to be pretty obvious to me. And they’re supposed to be smart kids.

Also, Sadie has sunked lower in my estimation of her character. While it might be the norm now for heroines to be caught up in love triangles, I really can’t understand why most of them can’t pick a guy and stick with him. The guys’ acceptance of the status quo is baffling too and more than a bit off.

If I wasn’t already almost to the finish line, I’d opt to drop the last book in The Kane Chronicles from my books to read. For now, I’ll just put it way down on my wish list.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Maybe.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Maybe.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...