September 27, 2012

Review : The Rogue by Trudi Canavan

Title : The Rogue

Author : Trudi Canavan

Reading Dates : 16 Aug - 24 Aug 2012

Total Pages : 523

The Traitor Spy Trilogy
From Amazon :
Discover the magic of Trudi Canavan with her brand new novel in the Traitor Spy Trilogy...

Living among the Sachakan rebels, Lorkin does his best to learn about their unique magic. But the Traitors are reluctant to trade their secrets for the Healing they so desperately want.

Meanwhile, Sonea searches for the rogue, knowing that Cery cannot avoid assassination forever --- but the rogue's influence over the city's underworld, however, is far greater than she feared.

And in the University, two female novices are about to remind the Guild that sometimes their greatest enemy is found within...

Book Review of The Rogue.

The Rogue was an improvement on The Ambassador’s Mission. I’m certainly intrigued by the results of Dannyl’s research and the glimpses of the Traitors we’ve been given. I’ve no doubt that I’ll be reading the last book in the trilogy in hopes of getting answers to my questions.

As in the first book of The Traitor Spy trilogy, there are a few plot lines going on. What interests me the most are the Traitors’ future. In the time that Lorkin spends with the Traitors, we learn of the growing unrest within the Traitors as well as their lack of a future if things go on as they did now. Without a drastic change in their current way of life, it is inevitable that the Traitors will cease to exist at some point in time. How they choose to approach this is something I hope to find out in the next book, The Traitor Queen.

The other part which interests me in The Rogue was the knowledge that Lorkin and Dannyl discover respectively. There’s no doubt that their discoveries are a harbinger of change, but for the Guild of Magicians. It will certainly be interesting to see if the magicians are capable of adapting to what was once considered taboo..

On the other hand, I find that character-wise, none of characters introduced in The Traitor Spy trilogy are as appealing as Sonea and Akkarin. They simply aren’t as likable or as charismatic.

Overall, my interest in The Traitor Spy is simply to revisit old characters and get to know the world Trudi Canavan has built, better.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Maybe, but not frequently.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow it

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...