September 20, 2012

Review : The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

Title : The Red Pyramid

Author : Rick Riordan

Reading Dates : 07 Jul - 30 Jul 2012

Total Pages : 514

The Kane Chronicles
From Amazon :
Percy Jackson fought Greek Gods. Now the Gods of Egypt are waking in the modern world...'I guess it started the night our dad blew up the British museum...' Carter and Sadie Kane's dad is a brilliant Egyptologist with a secret plan that goes horribly wrong. An explosion shatters the ancient Rosetta stone and unleashes Set, the evil god of chaos ...Set imprisons Dr Kane in a golden coffin and Carter and Sadie must run for their lives. To save their dad, they embark on a terrifying quest from Cairo to Paris to the American South-west and discover the truth about their family's connection to the House of Life: an Egyptian temple of magic that has existed for thousands of years. The pharaohs of ancient Egypt are far from dead and buried. And so, unfortunately, are their gods...


Book Review of The Red Pyramid.

The Red Pyramid was an okay read. It suffers however in comparison to the Percy Jackson series. So fans of Percy Jackson should beware. The Kane Chronicles simply doesn’t measure up.

Whether in terms of the storyline, the humour or the characters, I couldn’t help seeing the lack when compared against the Percy Jackson books. The Egyptian god and magicians don’t seem to have made much of an impact on me as opposed to their Grecian counterparts. The Egyptian gods struck me as boring and I couldn’t find any enjoyment in how they’re supposed to be interwoven into the modern world.

Carter and Sadie Kane too failed to get me on their side. I couldn’t help agreeing with the siblings opinion of each other. Carter is boring and Sadie is annoying. They simply didn’t have Percy Jackson’s flair and charm when it comes to engaging the reader.

In short, if I didn’t have the Throne of Fire in hand, I probably wouldn’t be planning on reading the next book.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Maybe.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Not really.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...