September 14, 2012

Review : The Lady of the Rivers by Philippa Gregory

Title : The Lady of the Rivers

Author : Philippa Gregory

Reading Dates : 02 Jul - 07 Jul 2012

Total Pages : 630

The Cousins' War
From Amazon :
A story rich in passion and legend, The Lady of the Rivers is the story of Jacquetta, Duchess of Bedford, a woman who navigated a treacherous path through the battle lines in the Wars of the Roses.

When Jacquetta is married to the Duke of Bedford, English regent of France, he introduces her to a mysterious world of learning and alchemy. Her only friend in the great household is the duke’s squire Richard Woodville, who is at her side when the duke’s death leaves her a wealthy young widow. The two become lovers and marry in secret, returning to England to serve at the court of the young King Henry VI, where Jacquetta becomes a close and loyal friend to his new queen.

The Woodvilles soon achieve a place at the very heart of the Lancaster court, though Jacquetta can sense the growing threat from the people of England and the danger of their royal York rivals. As Jacquetta fights for her king and her queen, she can see an extraordinary and unexpected future for her daughter Elizabeth: a change of fortune, the throne of England, and the white rose of York. . . .


Book Review of The Lady of the Rivers.

I loved The Lady of the Rivers for many reasons.

The first was the language. The novel is beautifully written, especially when the heroine describes her family’s legacy from Melusina or when she and her husband share tender moments together. The mystery of Jacquetta’s gifts and the passion she shares with her second husband really comes through. All of which leads me to the second reason I loved the story.

Philippa Gregory really brought Jacquetta to live with all her strengths and weaknesses. While Jacquetta is ambitious, she is also loving and kind. Obviously she wants her family to get ahead in the world, but more than that she wishes for their happiness. And never, never does she intend to use her powers for harm, even against her enemies. Jacquetta was a strong and likable heroine, one I really enjoyed rooting for.

In a way, I’m glad the book ended the way it did, at the height of her family’s power. Reading Philippa Gregory’s books, I can’t help wondering why I used to think that history was boring. I’ll be eagerly anticipating her next book in the series.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Yes.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Historical fiction fans.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it. This is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...