April 13, 2012

Review : Knife of Dreams by Robert Jordan







Title : Knife of Dreams
Author : Robert Jordan
Reading Dates : 11 Feb 2012 - 17 Feb 2012
Total Pages :793
The Wheel of Time

From Amazon :
The Wheel of Time turns, and Robert Jordan gives us the eleventh volume of his extraordinary masterwork of fantasy. The dead are walking, men die impossible deaths, and it seems as though reality itself has become unstable: All are signs of the imminence of Tarmon Gai'don, the Last Battle, when Rand al'Thor, the Dragon Reborn, must confront the Dark One as humanity's only hope. But Rand dares not fight until he possesses all the surviving seals on the Dark One's prison and has dealt with the Seanchan, who threaten to overrun all nations this side of the Aryth Ocean and increasingly seem too entrenched to be fought off. But his attempt to make a truce with the Seanchan is shadowed by treachery that may cost him everything. Whatever the price, though, he must have that truce. And he faces other dangers. There are those among the Forsaken who will go to any length to see him dead--and the Black Ajah is at his side.... Unbeknownst to Rand, Perrin has made his own truce with the Seanchan. It is a deal made with the Dark One, in his eyes, but he will do whatever is needed to rescue his wife, Faile, and destroy the Shaido who captured her. Among the Shaido, Faile works to free herself while hiding a secret that might give her her freedom or cause her destruction. And at a town called Malden, the Two Rivers longbow will be matched against Shaido spears.


Book Review of Knife of Dreams.

First off I have to say that Knife of Dreams is the first title in the series which I could not link to what was happening in the story. It doesn’t really have any bearing on the story but perhaps someone could enlighten me on what it means or is referring to here ?

In any case, events are finally moving again in Wheel of Time. Also, while each of the male protagonists are moving separately, all are related to the Seanchan whether it is knowingly making a devil’s bargain with them, attempting to make one or accidentally making one. And where it will all lead to has definitely hooked me to read on again.

Aside from this, the book once again shifts my “allegiances”. Mat is my favourite character in this one. His courtship of Tuon is both funny and sweet while his skills as as a general rather than his luck comes more into play, leaving plenty of tension and excitement.

On the other hand, Perrin’s fixation on his wife is rather annoying. instead of coming off as an extraordinary love, I felt like it was a very selfish one. If in achieving his goal, they lost the war, whatever he did would have become meaningless.

As for Rand, all the events involving him now are rather depressing that I can’t help pitying him. Imagine fighting for people who hate, fear or even see you as nothing more than a tool, knowing that all you’ll find is death even in victory. Knowing that even if you won the war for them, none of these people would ever thank or appreciate your sacrifice. It is all I can do not to shake the lot of them, even those who are supposed to be his friends.

As the Dragon Reborn’s tale progresses, more and more I’m rooting for a miracle to save them all because it certainly seems as if they’re all being manipulated by the other side. Still, I can’t seem to see how a happy ending would be possible here no matter how hard I wish it.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Definitely.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? All fantasy readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it. The series is a keeper.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...