March 16, 2012

Review : A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan






Title : A Crown of Swords
Author : Robert Jordan
Reading Dates : 29 Jan 2012 - 3 Feb 2012
Total Pages :856
The Wheel of Time

From goodreads :
Elayne, Aviendha and Mat come ever closer to the bowl ter'angreal that may reverse the world's endless heatwave and restore natural weather. Egwene begins to gather all manner of women who can channel - Sea Folk, Windfinders, Wise Ones, and some surprising others. And, above all, Rand faces the dread Forsaken Sammael, in the shadows of Shadar Logoth, where the blood-hungry mist, Mashadar, waits for prey...


Book Review of A Crown of Swords.

A Crown of Swords is a mixed bag. I enjoyed the beginning and the ending but the middle parts nearly bored me to tears. The reason is simple. The beginning and end of the book focuses on Rand’s plans while the middle focuses on Elayne and Nynaeve’s.

While Rand doesn’t appear much in the book, it is those parts which I find most interesting. Certainly, those bits had me revising some of the guesses I made on the future direction of the story and the role of a number of the characters.

On the other hand, Elayne and Nynaeve seem to spend a great deal of time either condemning everyone else as fools or deciding what everyone else should be doing. So much so, that I don’t find myself missing out on the story at all despite skimming through those parts. The only thing of interest here is that which concerns Mat. I certainly had myself a good laugh at his horror and embarrassment to discover the tables turned when he becomes the object of a queen’s attentions.

A Crown of Swords has the funniest bits in the Wheel of Time, even if I find the focus on the female protagonists annoying.

My conclusions :

  • Would I re-read the book ? Definitely.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Yes.
  • Who would I recommend this too? All fantasy readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Buy it. The series is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...