August 6, 2011

Review : Third Girl by Agatha Christie

Title : Third Girl
Author : Agatha Christie
Reading Dates : 25 Jun - 28 Jun 2011
Third Girl: A Hercule Poirot Mystery (Hercule Poirot Mysteries)
Explore other Hercule Poirot books here.
From Amazon :
Three young women share a London flat. The first is a coolly efficient secretary. The second is an artist. The third interrupts Hercule Poirot’s breakfast confessing that she is a murderer—and then promptly disappears.

Slowly, Poirot learns of the rumors surrounding the mysterious third girl, her family, and her disappearance. Yet hard evidence is needed before the great detective can pronounce her guilty, innocent, or insane.…


Book Review of Third Girl.
Third Girl was an okay read but I’m still not sure I want to read more Hercule Poirot stories.

When it comes to my reading, I know that I enjoy the stories better when I like the main characters or at least find them interesting. This is doubly so whenever I’m following a series. After all, would you read a series of books featuring a character you disliked ? And that’s my problem with Hercule Poirot. I’ve found that what is meant in fun and his signature trait, rather annoying. It doesn’t affect the story in the least, but I kept feeling impatient whenever Poirot’s vanities are played up. So, I’m not exactly sure that I want to continue reading them.

On the other hand, the cases themselves are interesting. I had a good time trying to dissect the problem in Third Girl. Although I figured out half the puzzle early on, there were still plenty of surprises waiting for me at the end. Even better, the solution includes a resolution I was wishing for.

Overall, an enjoyable read but one I’d enjoy more with less emphasis on Poirot’s eccentricities.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Maybe, but probably not in a good long while.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Possibly.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Suspense or Agatha Christie fans.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow it.

Books alluded to :
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan PoeComplete Works of Wilkie Collins - with illustrations - Each and Every TextHamlet (New Edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...