August 13, 2011

Review : Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens



Title : Oliver Twist
Author : Charles Dickens
Reading Dates : 28 Jun - 29 Jun 2011
Oliver Twist
From Amazon :
The story of the orphan Oliver, who runs away from the workhouse only to be taken in by a den of thieves, shocked readers when it was first published. Dickens' tale of childhood innocence beset by evil depicts the dark criminal underworld of a London peopled by vivid and memorable characters - the arch-villain Fagin, the artful Dodger, the menacing Bill Sikes and the prostitute Nancy. Combining elements of Gothic Romance, the Newgate Novel and popular melodrama, in "Oliver Twist" Dickens created an entirely new kind of fiction, scathing in its indictment of a cruel society, and pervaded by an unforgettable sense of threat and mystery.


Book Review of Oliver Twist.

It’s sad when a childhood favourite doesn’t live up to my expectations and that’s what happened with Oliver Twist. It isn’t that I’ve grown to hate the story or anything, but there simply wasn’t enough of a story to go on. Like Oliver, I kept wanting more and was denied *Wink, Wink*

First off, the characters felt rather one dimensional to me when people aren’t like that. With the exception of Nancy, most of the characters in the story clearly fell into either the angelic or demonic category. Next, while I’m sure there are good samaritans everywhere, Oliver’s luck when it comes to his benefactors was simply unbelievable. And finally, there’s the rather neat ending with all the i’s dotted and t’s crossed.

It’s just too disappointing for words. What happened to the story that I loved and re-read so frequently as a child ?

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? I'm not sure.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series if there were one? No, not really.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? That depends. I think I'd want one if there was a child in the family.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Young readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow it.

1 comment:

  1. to me in Oliver Twist when we are with the bad characters like Fagin it is exciting-when we are among the "good" people it is not that gripping a book-still should be read for its great importance and fame

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...