July 27, 2011

Review : Partners in Crime by Agatha Christie

Title : Partners in Crime
Author : Agatha Christie
Reading Dates : 19 Jun - 25 Jun 2011
AGATHA CHRISTIE - PARTNERS IN CRIME
Tommy & Tuppence
The books in the series include :
  • The Secret Adversary
  • Partners in Crime
  • N or M?
  • By the Pricking of My Thumbs
  • Postern of Fate
From goodreads :
Tommy and Tuppence Beresford adopt the methods and manners of every major literary detective from Hercule Poirot to Sherlock Holmes to piece together an increasingly complex series of delightfully different-and deadly-misdeeds.


Book Review of Partners in Crime.
Partners in Crime was another fun read, although I did approach it with a bit of trepidation. I’ve only read 3 other Agatha Christie books, all Hercule Poirot mysteries, which unfortunately I did not enjoy as much as I wanted to. In any case, Tommy & Tuppence seems to have hit the spot for me.

The Beresfords are fun, both as a couple and in their endeavours to solve the mysteries they encounter. Neither takes themselves too seriously and enjoy life and cases so much, that you can’t help but share the same feelings. After this book, I definitely want to read more about Tommy & Tuppence.

The only cases which were a bit of a let-down for me was The Unbreakable Alibi, The Ambassador’s Boots and The Man Who Was No. 16. All 3 had such obvious and typical solutions which I spotted immediately at the beginning that it just did not do the rest of the cases justice. The others though often presented interesting twists, especially The Case of the Missing Lady. I would never have imagined that resolution no matter what.

One thing else I learned from the book is how woefully ignorant I am of the mystery or suspense genre. The stories here are supposed to be spoofs of other fictional detectives, but the only ones I actually recognized by name was Sherlock Holmes and Poirot. Partners in Crime definitely has me curious about the detectives now though.

All in all, a fun read, but I’m guessing fans of the genre would be a better judge.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Yes.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series ? Definitely. I'm already planning to buy other books in the same series.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Maybe not. I'd be satisfied if I could borrow it occasionally.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fans of suspense fiction.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Mystery fans should buy this. Other readers would enjoy this too, but borrowing the book should be sufficient.

Read another review on the book or other related links of interested :

Books alluded to :
Alice in WonderlandThe World As Will and Representation, In Two Volumes: Vol. IThe Critique of Practical ReasonThe Big Four (Poirot)The Hound of the Baskervilles By Sir Arthur Conan DoyleThe Dr. Thorndyke Short Story OmnibusThe Return of ClubfootThe Clue in the Air; A Detective StoryThe Problemist: The Complete Adventures of Thornley Colton, Blind DetectiveThe Complete Father Brown (Volume 1)The Essential Edgar Wallace Collection [Illustrated]The Old Man in the Corner: Twelve Classic Detective StoriesThe Broken RoadThe Pit Prop SyndicateThe Layton Court Mystery (A Roger Sheringham case)Black Land, White Land: A Mr. Fortune Novel (Rue Morgue Vintage Mysteries)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...