February 19, 2011

Review : The Violet Keystone by Garth Nix

Title : The Violet Keystone
Author : Garth Nix
Reading Dates : 23 Jan - 26 Jan 2011
The Violet Keystone (The Seventh Tower, Book 6)
The Seventh Tower
The books in the series:
  • The Fall
  • Castle
  • Aenir
  • Above the Veil
  • Into Battle
  • The Violet Keystone
From Amazon :
The extraordinary conclusion to Garth Nix¹s best-selling fantasy epic. The veil has been lifted. The Dark World is on its way to destruction. Can Tal and Milla restore order in time?


Book Review of The Violet Keystone.
First off, I’d like to say that I would probably have loved the book more if I’d read it immediately after the previous one. The Violet Keystone is good but it doesn’t stand well on its own since I’m basically starting in the middle of a battle and am seeing out the end of it. Plus the necessarily fast pace doesn’t leave much time to get to know the main characters again and I took some time to recall where the story had stopped before. So, the next time I read this (and I will definitely re-read it), I’ll be borrowing the entire set and re-reading it at one go.

With that said, I think it’s pretty obvious that I enjoyed it. Both Tal and Milla have grown. While, I don’t quite “feel” this, I did note that the both of them are more willing to trust and depend on others as compared to the past.

Aside from that, I got to see more of the Castle and Aenir. Enough for me to wonder about what happened in the past and imagine what might happen next. The creatures or inventions which were left behind and only recently rediscovered hints at an extraordinary civilisation in the past, and with all the difficulty that the protagonists had, I can’t help but speculate on how their predecessors managed. And what about the new responsibilities and difficulties that Tal and Milla now have ? At the end of the tale, I definitely had a yen to read more stories set in this world.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Definitely.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series if there one? Yes.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? Probably not. I enjoyed it but not so much that I'm thinking to re-read it often.
  • Who would I recommend this too? Fantasy and adventure readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...