February 17, 2011

Review : Crooked Hearts by Patricia Gaffney

Title : Crooked Hearts
Author : Patricia Gaffney
Reading Dates : 19 Jan - 22 Jan 2011
Crooked Hearts
From goodreads :
When Grace and Reuben meet, she's dressed as a Catholic nun; he's posing as a blind Spanish aristocrat. But he gets an eyeful when the pretty sister lifts her skirt to adjust the little silver derringer strapped to her thigh. So begins this sexy, rollicking ride through the gambling halls and sinful streets of 1880s San Francisco, as an unusual pair of con-artists become partners in crime--and love.


Book Review of Crooked Hearts.
Crooked Hearts presents an interesting conundrum. On the one hand, I thought the plot was rather boring and presented very little surprises. On the other hand, I loved the characters and the way they related to each other. So, I both like the book and am bored by it at the same time.

In any case, the opening starts off well with the introduction of the main protagonists. Grace and Reuben’s first meeting is very funny and sets the tone for the rest of their dealings with each other. Neither of them has an ounce of trust for the other, yet that’s what makes them so right for each other and so wonderfully fun together.

And some of the supporting cast were hilarious too. My personal favourites were the Croaker brothers, Reuben’s unsavoury creditors. I loved how they could be such tough guys and yet have “principles” at the same time.

In the above character depictions, the story works because it’s so tongue-in-cheek. But at the same time, the antagonist of the tale was so ridiculous that I didn’t feel as if the protagonists would have any trouble outwitting him. Thus, making the later half of the book rather predictable.

Overall, an okay break and nice change of pace after the Millennium books.

My conclusions :
  • Would I re-read the book ? Maybe.
  • Would I want to read the next book in the series if there were one? No.
  • Would I want to own my personal copy if I didn’t already own it ? No
  • Who would I recommend this too? Romance readers.
  • For those looking to read the book, would I recommend buying or borrowing the book? Borrow it.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...