November 10, 2010

Review : Seize the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Title : Seize the Night
Author : Sherrilyn Kenyon
Reading Dates : 9 Oct - 10 Oct 2010
Seize the Night (Dark-Hunter, Book 7)
The Dark-Hunter series.
Seize the Night is another book in the Dark-Hunter series. Check out the link below for a listing of the books in the series according to reading order.
From goodreads :
Valerius isn't a popular Dark-Hunter-he's a Roman, which means that the largely Greek Hunters have a major grudge against him and his civilization for superceding them. To make things worse, he's very conscious of his aristocratic background and breeding. So it serves him right when he runs into Tabitha Devereaux. She's sassy, sexy, and completely unwilling to take him seriously. (Not to mention that she's the twin sister of the wife of former Dark-Hunter Kyrian-Val's mortal enemy.)

What Tabitha does take seriously is hunting and killing vampires-and soon she and Val have to grapple with the deadliest of all Daimons-one who's managed to come back from the dead, and one who holds a serious grudge against both of them. To win against evil, Val will have to loosen up, learn to trust, and put everything on the line to protect a man he hates and a woman who drives him nuts.


Book Review of Seize the Night.
This one is a disappointment because I didn't get the answers I've been seeking.

Since I read Seize the Night out of order, I've always had this expectation that it would answer certain questions for me, namely the reason for Nick's animosity towards Acheron. Between the previous and next book, Nick suddenly changed from Acheron's best friend to one of his bitterest enemy and nothing in the subsequent books ever really explains Nick's reasoning to me. I know that he blames Acheron for his beloved mother's death but the reasons given for this has never quite added up for me. Unfortunately even after reading this one, I still don't understand. Hence, the disappointment.

Another reason for it is Valerius and Tabitha's story. Neither of them do much for me. It isn't that I dislike them but more like I felt nothing for either. There simply wasn't enough depth to their characters or story to engage my attention. They jumped into bed together almost as soon as they first meet. It felt more like 2 lonely people getting together rather than a love story. So much so, that I couldn't even care if they got their happy ever after or not. In fact their story felt like debris to be sifted through to get to the real meat which was Acheron and Nick's part in it. All of which might have been told in a few short chapters while still leaving me in the same state of confusion.

Other than that, there was a rather jarring inconsistency to the story near the end. Since Dark-Hunters aren't supposed to be able to hurt each other, the question of how Valerius could do what he did without getting killed is puzzling to say the least.

The only bright spark is Zarek and Astrid's short reappearance. It's nice to see Astrid helping Zarek coming to terms with his past.

My conclusion : Recommended only for die-hard Dark-Hunter fans.

My favourite books from Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter and Dream-Hunter series so far :

Want to ...

Books alluded, quoted or hinted at:
Something Wicked This Way ComesThe Complete Hammer's Slammers: Volume IStorm Front (The Dresden Files, Book 1)
The Right To Arm BearsWOLFLINGSoldier, Ask Not: A Novel in The Chide Cyle (Tor Science Fiction)

I won this book from about happy books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...