November 17, 2010

Review : Persuasion by Jane Austen

Title : Persuasion
Author : Jane Austen
Reading Dates : 18 Oct - 22 Oct 2010
Persuasion
From goodreads:
'She had been forced into prudence in her youth, she learned romance as she grew older - the natural sequel of an unnatural beginning.' Anne Elliot seems to have given up on present happiness and has resigned herself to living off her memories. More than seven years earlier she complied with duty: persuaded to view the match as imprudent and improper, she broke off her engagement to a naval captain with neither fortune, ancestry, nor prospects. However, when peacetime arrives and brings the Navy home, and Anne encounters Captain Wentworth once more, she starts to believe in second chances. Persuasion celebrates romantic constancy in an era of turbulent change. Written as the Napoleonic Wars were ending, the novel examines how a woman can at once remain faithful to her past and still move forward into the future.


Book Review of Persuasion.
I like Persuasion but it is the one I like the least of Jane Austen's completed works.

The only complain I have about Persuasion is the build up to the happy ever after of the main protagonists in the story. I know that the couple has a history and because of that their tale would not start at the beginning. But still, I always have this feeling that I missed something in the middle because of the abrupt change from Captain Wentworth's ignoring Anne to being in love with her again. No matter how many times I've re-read this, when Captain Wentworth finally declares his intentions I always have this moment of puzzlement where I wonder if I missed something.

As for the characters in the story, none of them really stand out to me. We've basically seen them before in other Austen books. While they do not bore me, I really think their foibles were somehow funnier and more prominent in her other books.

What I do enjoy though is trying to work out Captain Wentworth's feelings for Anne throughout the story. Did he never stop loving her and was merely pretending otherwise ? Or did he fall in love with her a second time after being reminded of her good qualities ? I never can decide. What do you think ?

My conclusion : An enjoyable read for Jane Austen fans.

Want to ...

Which versions of Persuasion below have you seen ?
PersuasionPersuasionPersuasion (BBC, 1971)

1 comment:

  1. You know this is one of the few by her I have not read! I am going to have a classics month next year I may have to add it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...