July 16, 2010

Book Beginnings and Friday 56 : The Dream-Hunter


The Dream-Hunter (A Dream-Hunter Novel, Book 1)
From Amazon:
In the ethereal world of dreams, there are champions who fight to protect the dreamer and there are demons who prey on them...

Arik is such a predator. Condemned by the gods to live eternity without emotions, Arik can only feel when he’s in the dreams of others. For thousands of years, he’s drifted through the human unconscious, searching for sensation. Now he’s finally found a dreamer whose vivid mind can fill his emptiness.

Dr. Megeara Kafieri watched her father ruin himself and his reputation as he searched to prove Atlantis was real. Her deathbed promise to him to salvage his reputation has now brought her to Greece where she intends to prove once and for all that the fabled island is right where her father said it was. But frustration and bad luck dog her every step. Especially the day they find a stranger floating in the sea. His is a face she’s seen many times.... in her dreams.

What she doesn’t know is that Arik holds more than the ancient secrets that can help her find the mythical isle of Atlantis. He has made a pact with the god Hades: In exchange for two weeks as a mortal man, he must return to Olympus with a human soul. Megeara’s soul.

With a secret society out to ruin her expedition, and mysterious accidents that keep threatening her life, Megeara refuses to quit. She knows she’s getting closer to Atlantis and as she does, she stumbles onto the truth of what Arik really is.

For Arik his quest is no longer simple. No human can know of a Dream-Hunter’s existence. His dream of being mortal has quickly turned into his own nightmare and the only way to save himself will be to sacrifice the very thing he wanted to be human for. The only question is, will he?


***
Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted at Page Turners.

Book Beginnings on Friday

Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.
***



Completeless motionless, Megeara Satsakis stood on the edge of the cliff looking out on waters so perfectly blue they were almost painful to behold.


***
The Friday 56 is hosted at Storytime With Tonya and Friends.

The Friday 56

Share the fifth sentence (plus one or two others) from page 56 of the book nearest to you.
***


There was no way he could know that. Not unless he'd seen the mysterious symbol somewhere else.

11 comments:

  1. Are you enjoying the book? Ive never really understood the metaphor of people feeling pain when they see something beautiful. I just can't imagine it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky

    I can't tell much yet since I've just started reading the first few pages. I don't equate pain to beauty too though. In this case, I just imagined as the sea as very "bright" as to be painful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very intriguing! I'm putting it on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great sentences! I really should read the series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'm very curious! I hope you're enjoying it...here's my 56. Will be back later with my "beginnings."

    http://snowconnections.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/the-friday-56-4/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that opener...I can totally visualize and "feel" it.

    Here's my beginning:

    http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/book-beginnings-on-friday-13/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmmmm . . . I don't even like dream scenes in books, I don't think I would like an entire book about dreams. :)

    Here is my opener on Rose City Reader.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Somehow, I find the concept of secret symbols and societies intriguing. I guess that's not unusual, hence the success of Dan Brown.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...