June 25, 2010

Book Beginnings (Jun 25)

Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted at Page Turners.
Book Beginnings on Friday
Anyone can participate; just share the opening sentence of your current read, making sure that you include the title and author so others know what you're reading. If you like, share with everyone why you do, or do not, like the sentence.
***


Frankenstein

From goodreads:
The epic battle between man and monster reaches its greatest pitch in the famous story of Frankenstein. In trying to create life, the young student Victor Frankenstein unleashes forces beyond his control, setting into motion a long and tragic chain of events that brings Victor himself to the very brink. How he tries to destroy his creation, as it destroys everything Victor loves, is a powerful story of love, friendship …and horror.
You will rejoice to hear that no disaster has accompanied the commencement of an enterprise which you have regarded with such evil forebodings.

Did you know that the seeds for Frankenstein had its start in the summer of 1816 when Mary Shelley and 3 others (Lord Byron, John Polidori and Percy Bysshe Shelley) amused each other by making up ghost stories ? I didn't. Anyway, you can read or download Frankenstein by Mary Shelley for free online.

9 comments:

  1. That sent a shiver down my spine. I would love to read this. Ill keep an eye out for your review

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that! Thanks for sharing it! Also, great opening! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the circumstances around the creation of the book interest me more than the book itself. Interesting! Mine comes from Sizzling Sixteen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed Frankenstein when I read it in school. I had heard about Shelley and the ghost stories. That must have been something to listen to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a compelling opener...

    Here's mine:

    http://laurelrainsnowswonderland.wordpress.com/2010/06/25/book-beginnings-on-friday-10/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one classic I have not read so I had no idea how it started. I like the writing. Good to know it's available online too. I may get to it one of these days. And thank you for visiting Fresh Ink Books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this book! I couldn't put it down and read it in a day. I love Mary Shelley and Victorian Goth literature. I can't wait to read your reviews and notes on it!!!
    (http://patriciasparticularity.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent book! Thanks for stopping by mine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...